Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Un-Friending

Note: I realize this post is a bit ludicrous and over the top.

I am not sure how many of you have heard of November 17 as "National [Facebook] Un-Friend Day"...but this is a basic synopsis:
"National UnFriend Day was November 17th, 2010 — the day when all Facebook users protected the sacred nature of friendship by cutting out any "friend fat" on their pages occupied by people who are not truly their friends." (abc.com)
That week in mid-November started out the same as any other week: office laughter and chit chat. I am not sure who brought up the fateful day, but someone did. Since my office is full of friend-laden people we decided to take a brave step and attempt to rid ourselves of some extra friend baggage.
We boasted and bragged about the 'difficulty' of removing individuals who we have not talked to in years. In reality, I am quite sure we were being dramatic.
Since then, I have occasionally gone through my friend list and deleted a few people here and there in hopes of cleansing my facebook page. Today was one of those days that I decided to scroll the list.
Every time I have pulled up the list to filter who I am truly friends with I become more and more sad about removing people. Why? Because each and every one of my 'friends' has a memory associated with them. I think that's why today I started to *gasp* tear up.
I have decided that no matter how little I communicate with said 'friends', I will no longer be deleting any more people out of my life. The joy that comes from simply looking at their name and remembering that he or she was there with me and we experienced something together far outweighs the time we have spent apart.
I want it to be known that I am not bashing "NUFD", I am simply saying it is not for me.
So if you are one of those friends who I carefully deleted...I am sorry. Let's be friends again...ok?
[Also note: Yes. I realize my reasoning for keeping friends is completely for my benefit and that I am objectifying friends as memory snippets.]

No comments:

Post a Comment